Here's how to check your iPhone's battery health

Tim Hardwick

Earlier this year, Apple retested the batteries of its iPhone 15 models and updated its battery life claims across the series, suggesting they offer longer life than previously thought. Want to know about the battery health of your iPhone 15? Here's how to check it.

Apple updated battery specifications for iPhone 15 in February 2024 , iPhone 15 Plus, iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max. According to Apple's latest testing, device batteries are designed to retain 80% of their original capacity over 1,000 full charge cycles under ideal conditions.

This is a significant improvement over the 500 charge cycles the company advertises for all older iPhone models in the same number of cycles.

iPhone 15 models also include a battery charging optimization feature, so if you regularly charge your iPhone at night while you sleep, the device can limit charging to 80% and then wait about an hour before you wake up to charge the remaining 20%. This keeps the iPhone at optimal capacity for battery health by reducing the amount of time it sits on the charger with a 100% charged battery, which can shorten its lifespan over time.

If you have an iPhone 15 sec If you have iOS 17.4 or later, you can get more information about your device's battery status in the following ways:

  1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Scroll down and tap Battery.
  3. Check the reading next to Battery Status. For more detailed information, including the number of charge cycles your device's battery has received, date of manufacture, and date of first use, simply tap the reading. (In earlier versions of iOS 17, this information was hidden in the General ➝ About section of the Settings app.

Apple says that the battery life of any iPhone model ultimately depends on how the device is regularly used and charged. While the “Maximum Capacity” reading will give you a good idea of ​​your iPhone's battery health, it's worth clicking on the blue text that says “About Battery and Warranty” which will give you more information about your device's likely battery life based on how it's used .

Battery life depends on a number of variables, but if you think you've got a problem, it's worth remembering that the standard 1-year AppleCare+ iPhone warranty includes service for defective batteries. Depending on where you are, local consumer protection laws may even provide you with coverage beyond the standard 12 months, so don't hesitate to ask the Apple Store if you think there's a problem.


Leave a Reply